Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Being Chinese

Culture and religion can be inseparable, yes...to a certain level. I don't consider myself as a pure Chinese--well, not the way that I was brought up, you know...with the education and stuff.

Hint: I'm not Chinese educated.

But that doesn't mean that I don't know any Chinese character at all. I was sent to learn Chinese when I was young. Heh. Not that I can remember much of what's being taught. :P The only thing I'm very proud of was/is my calligraphy. You'd never know, I actually WAS the winner in writing (Chinese characters) in my night-school (a little history: back in my hometown, Teluk Intan, a night school was set up for people of all ages to learn Chinese. Yes! And we have a headmaster and complete set of teachers for all grades - beginner, advanced...etc). What can I say, I'm just good with my fingers and hand! ;P Ehem...

I'm a Buddhist. But I don't pray to Buddhist god(s). However, seeing other Chinese praying to deities and Gods reminds and rejoices me of my strong cultural heritage. Once (for a short period of time) I grew up in an orthodox Buddhism home--my maternal grandparents home, in an old Chinese village in Bukit Merah, Ipoh.

Actually, I'm Ipoh-born--the place in Malaysia dubbed as 'where the pretty gals are born/produced'. *winks*

The last time I encountered being surrounded (very close) by orthodox Buddhism and tradition was during my grandfather's funeral. Yes, in that house. With burnings of the papers resembling money, gold, lady and/or guy (as maids to serve in the underworld), house, car...etc, (orthodox) chanting, incense and offerings (food, fruits and drinks - to the spirits and REAL people paying their respect).

It was about 18 years ago. Yes...I'm kinda old now (to have vivid recollection of that event). :P

In conjunction of the CNY, some Chinese practice the burning, offering and praying for success, prosperity and good health (not necssarily in this order). I have never experience this for a very long time already--between 15-19 years.

On CNY eve, I was surprised and moved upon seeing the 'gold paper folded up as offering' (to be burnt) in the restaurant that I worked! The inquisitive me asked the lady boss of the history behind the offering and burning :P Heh. Not that I didn't know, but I wanted to make sure, remind of and perhaps learn a bit more what I didn't know about it. :P Haha.

I felt like a 5 year old kid asking, "what's the rice for?", "what's the sweet for?", "what's the dried oyster for?", "what's with the exact number of joss stick?". Haha...

*blushes*












I stayed over for the 'ceremony' at the restaurant. Oh, I wasn't praying. I was there to witness and oohing-and-aahing the theatricality of the religious little ceremony. In the silence of the burning, I sensed the spirits, and I respected the wholesome of the ceremony. Another reason why I stayed for it was it felt Chinese to me. And I've never been 'this' Chinese before :P

Happy Chinese New Year, everyone. May the Year of Dog brings you good health, prosperity and good fortune in every aspect of your life. :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wah, good that u get some 'chinese' feel so far from home! happy chinese new year to u too! gong hei gong hei!

psst... did ur lady boss give u an ang-pao? heheh...

2/01/2006 11:31:00 AM  
Blogger lotsachi said...

yup! ;) everybody got angpow from the boss - sorta like a 'bonus'. :P but not like a month's salary lah :P

2/01/2006 02:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home