Saturday, December 10, 2005

The Normal Heart

I should have stayed home on Thurs night and worked on 3 papers due the next day. But The Normal Heart was too good to be missed.

The Normal Heart : A Play by Larry Kramer
An HIV/AIDS Event
Thursday, Dec 8 2005
Towson University Center For the Arts

The Agenda:

Outreach Expo with exhibitors from HOPE, Moveable Feast, Planned Parenthood of Maryland, The GLCCB (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Community Center of Baltimore and Central Maryland), Towson University Queer Student Union, Sisters Together and Reaching, Inc., TU Counseling Center, and TurnAround.

Ahh...I forgot which table that has a BUNCH of free condoms that anyone could take. My friend - she basically stuffed her handbag with so many that they fell out from it, and spotted by N, a Japanese professor. Haha! Embarrassingly funny! Then she said she's gonna use them on New Year. Our eyes were popping out, but she clarified that she's NOT ACTUALLY gonna 'use' them, but just to throw them up in the air for everybody. Yeah...right... ;P Oh, did I take some? No...don't need it. I saw female condom too! ;) No, I didn't take it - don't need it. :P Saw a rubber to wrap around your finger (finger-dom?). Haha. I didn't take it either :P I think it's about time someone INVENT 'tongue-dom'. ;) Oh right, how can you put it on a tongue then, huh. Hhmmm...never mind, use Glad (plastic wrap) ;)

Play Reading about the beginning of the AIDS epidemic and its impact on the gay community physically, politically, and personally--featuring Towson Theatre students, faculty, and alum including John Glover (yes, the father (rich one) in Smallville, 5 Emmy Award nominations for TV roles), and Bruce Nelson (5-time Helen Hayes Award nominee, Helen Hayes award winner for Best Actor in 2004).

Reception
I didn't stay. Just grab a bottle of water and dashed home - homeworks. Heh. I didn't start until it was snowing heavily outside...about 1am? Was talking to L (yes, 'her') and MY (my ex-coursemate from UPM).

"We can not stop the deaths from AIDS, but we can stop the deaths from ignorance."

I should have moved (but I didn't)...I felt awkward sitting right next to G, and then I found out that he and M are actually dating (?) I didn't know. Gosh, sitting to a straight couple made me have icky feeling... :P I don't know, but seeing B and her partner, J, (they sat in front of me) made me envious...and put a smile to my face.

Oh yeah, I lost count of the compliments I received on my outfit (the make-shift-tie). Ehem...kakui desu ne ;)

I think that was my first time watching a reading. Impressed on how simplicity could move the audience (to tears...yeah, I was fighting back tears). Those are very good actors! OMG...watching S kissing Bruce...my immediate reaction was OMG! nani?! and then came the aaawwww...

I actually got stood up/turned down. Twice! By the gal(s) I asked to go watch this with me. :( It's a fabulous thing/event to miss, my dear... Oh, how disappointed I was. But then, I still went...alone, knowing that I'd have a bunch of theatre friends (and professors) there. :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yikes abt the condom (falling out in front of prof) episode!!! so memalukan! LOL...

12/11/2005 05:05:00 AM  
Blogger lotsachi said...

yeah! and i (she followed suit...and explaining bla bla bla) pulled all the condoms from her bag, and counted/checked on the flavors she got ;P haha!

she's very open, and COOL. last year, she walked around the building (center for the arts) in a robe with nothing underneath! haha...actually, she was on break from posing nude to a bunch of art students. not that she went to school like that :P

12/11/2005 10:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home