Sunday, December 18, 2005

The Lighting Design Class I Love

I was planning on putting this here as soon as the project's done, but I was too caught up with end-of-semester papers and stuff (like meeting new friends, getting more time with friends).

This is the 2nd light project I have in the class. Remember the 1st project? It was done with Carmen's song.

Anyway, for the 2nd project, we were allowed to partner up. So, I had DT as my partner. DT's first project touched me deeply. With his image of a sexy and sophisticated woman, he created a very romantic light project. I love his perspectives on portraying romance. Well, okay, he seems like a romantic guy. Period. I went up to him and 'demanded' that he be my partner for the 2nd project :P So bossy, huh. Haha!

I came up with the central idea of being round. Okay, I was thinking of balls. Having balls in space. Lighting balls. Something to do with balls...errr...round/spherical things. I've always like balls, in case you don't know ;P Why do you think I excel in sports involving balls (and cocks - errr....shuttlecocks)?

Eh, off topic. :P

So, the first idea was ball/round.

For the 2nd project, we're supposed to create a light project (using props, or objects, or humans, and OF COURSE - lights! AND incorporate sound, or text) with a theme/message AND to have the class/audience to leave the room being deeply affected by it.

Then, I was walking/leaving the class where we had our first presentations of the 2nd project...listening to radio. Christmas song was in the air. DT was walking with me. I told him, hey...let's do something involving balls and Christmas song.

You know, round as the metaphor of wholeness/completion -- a gathering/wholeness/completion during Christmas. We'd like to set the mood for Christmas. We'd like to sorta 'encourage' our classmates to look forward to Christmas, ermmm...lighten up the stressful moment of the semester (it's nearing the end of semester...projects and shits piling up, you know).

We'd like to use the disco ball, but it was being used already. So, no more 'suspense' using it. Instead, DT came up with another 'round' thing similar to disco ball - the rotating colorful party ball ;) yay!

We used the IKEA paper lanterns. Round what. We used the round hanging ornaments for Christmas tree. I borrowed J's exercise ball. We used Kenny G's 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas'.

We went to Walmart at 10+pm to shop for the ornaments (wanted a mistletoe as well, but couldn't find one! so no kisses :P) and then straight to light lab...worked til 2+am! Very nocturnal of us. Good to have a very nocturnal partner (like me) ;P

Actually, we used a blacklight for the smallest IKEA lantern. Afterall, we want to create a better spectacle of 'snowfall'. Yeah, there's snowfall! ;) White confetti.

Here's some pictures I took with my cameraphone.


















We also want to show the class of the way WE, Asian (DT's Filipino), light our Christmas ;P It turned out to be a very successful project/light performance. We literally 'took' the audience away from the lab - the mystical magic wonderland of Christmas ;)

WE DID IT! Successfully evoked the touchy and mushy feelings! ;)

Awwww...that was what you get when you put two very romantic people together to create something ;P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home