Saturday, December 25, 2004

my solo performances experience

my great mentor sent me this,

"how to draw the line between the literal and the metaphorical? how to "suggest" to the viewers of your art without knocking them over the head with the "meaning" of your art? how to create a work of beauty and at the same time not completely hide the mechanics that produce that beauty? how to say something without saying anything?"

'discovering love' was a piece i created that deals with love and sex. it got many great compliments and constructive feedbacks from T, B, S, MT, CE and KM. a shout out from a urm...@#$%^&. working from the allurement, allurement in there, down there. where. :-) i was ready to tell the world about it, but i didn't tell in a straightforward way that i'm a urm...@#$%^&. that's the power of theatre. yes, from above, 'how to "suggest"...a line between the literal and metaphorical...say something without saying anything'. i did it. and i kinda 'slowed down' in my process, to be together with others. hehehehe... i was still the odd one out, but i didn't wanna be that ODD. i learned (more) that shapes, pictures, movements, gestures, sounds, tempo, and objects could mean so much. it's really a 'dance and sound theatre' kind of solo performance for me...and i used 3 actors/crewmembers in it as well. i felt embarrased and proud, but that's only in character (of being myself). me but not me. hahahaha...

'life stages' was a piece i created in stages - poetry, piano work, shapes and choreograph. the process wasn't very consistent but i managed to pull through and came up with something great. things just fell right into places. lucky me or smart me or creative me. hehehehe... iniitally, i wanted to learn more about the sophisticated audio/sound editting software from the 'pro', CA but time didn't permit. in the end, i used what i had and made the best out of it - viewcam to record my piano works, transferring it into the computer and make a VCD out of it, and finally video-edit to get the sound clips i wanted. it worked. not to the best sound quality but that's all i could do...with my limited resources. butterfly chair was a great breakthrough to bring the work to another level (visually). of course, butterfly has to overcome some stages before it could be an amazing and beautiful creature - cocoon. it's a struggle in the cocoon. similarly, i have to deal with life struggles...so i could soar high, be beautiful and unique and strong. with my own effort (so, i didn't use any actors/helpers on stage). there's steps where i used (metaphorically) the shift gears. at the almost end of the process, i thought of myself, my name...and that's ONG that could be seen as a shift gear (in chinese character). it's a piece about me...so, it clicked - i used it as my ground plan. you can play alot with an empty stage! and then i have a nice top, which has 'wings' and i transformed myself into butterfly (putting on my 'wings') in the cocoon (the chair...a huge cloth over it...the chair without the seat canvas...percussion tubes of C, D, F, and G tapped to the sides). i used only 4 elements, because it's about family, friends, career/studies and love in surviving life, life stages and how these elements incorporate themselves in dealing with need and desire. hence, only 4 notes - C, D, F and G. cocooning myself with a cool idea of pulling the string from my neck (that looked awesome!) and then 'struggled' myself through - minimal movements. learned that in N's butoh workshop. ;-) the hardest part of performing this would be saying the lines and keeping the tempo and rhythm of my tubes. that's HARD! i was working my left and right brain at the same time! gee!

i was so relieved everything was over! the semester was over. performing these was the final of my finals. not that i have many finals....just crammed for my theatre history and rehearsing/shaping these solo performances! ;-)

a great piece of work has to have depth, multilayers and true (to the performer). comparing from my previous solo performances, now i've incorporated the multilayers. wow! multilayers! my final year project in my physics degree was about (more of less) multilayers - 'the effect of giant magnetoresistance on granular thin films'. of course, i researched on granular and multilayer thin films. ;-) what a coincidence!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home